Thanks to the generosity of many Yale alumni, in its inaugural 2020-21 year the Fund supported innovative student work in three key areas:
- The Global University Climate Forum, a program that inspired nearly 600 student climate activists from 44 countries around the world to create climate action plans.
- The Campus Biodiversity Plan with recommendations for plantings and a business case.
- The Arts Area Green Space to promote safe and healthy reuse of material and enhance greenspaces.
In 2021/2022, the Sustainability Fund supported students from:
- The Schools of Management and Architecture to enhance data collection for the Yale Bike Map.
- The School of Management to develop a business plan for a potential bikeshare program for the New Haven Parking Authority.
- The School of the Environment to enhance Yale’s work on climate adaptation planning.
- Yale College to create the Yale Energy Alliance.
In 2022/2023 the Sustainability Office anticipates engaging graduate and undergraduate students on several projects, including:
- Hosting a Community Resilience Building workshop with The Nature Conservancy.
- Developing student-focused outreach programming on climate adaptation and resiliency.
- Supporting the Office of International Students and Scholars sustainability programming.
- Evaluating faculty research linked to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- Enhancing graphic design for sustainability communications.
- Centralizing the tracking of community service hours at Yale.
About the Fund
The YBG Sustainability Fund shall be used to support the activities of the Office of Sustainability as Yale creates, tests, and adopts innovative sustainable solutions to environmental and related social and economic challenges. Activities may include, but are not limited to, programming, communications, events, alumni engagement, and support for student assistants and early-career interns. Activities should also include, but are not limited to, initiatives that drive global leadership in integrated sustainable actions.
Priorities for the fund will evolve year-to-year.
Gifts can be made to the YBG Sustainability Fund at any time.