Thanks to the generosity of many Yale alumni, in its inaugural 2020-21 year the Fund supported innovative student work in three key areas:
- The Global University Climate Forum, a program that inspired nearly 600 student climate activists from 44 countries around the world to create climate action plans.
- The Campus Biodiversity Plan with recommendations for plantings and a business case.
- The Arts Area Green Space to promote safe and healthy reuse of material and enhance greenspaces.
In 2022, Director of the Office of Sustainability Ginger Chapman has identified four projects where student leadership will be vital. These include:
- Waste Disposal Education: Support a team of students to develop engaging, creative, and innovative communications to inform the campus community on proper waste disposal–a virtual signage effort to reach Yale’s diversion goals.
- STARS Data Project: Improve university-wide data collection for community service hours as part of Yale’s STARS reporting that benchmarks the University’s overall sustainability performance in higher education.
- Resilience Planning: Fund a group of students to interview their peers on their views and concerns about climate resilience and emergency preparedness to contribute the students’ perspective to the University Resilience Plan.
- Student Grant Program: Develop a Sustainability Solutions Fund for undergrad or graduate students to seek grants designed to build awareness, educate about sustainability topics and events, and promote action among students, staff, and faculty.
About the Fund
The YBG Sustainability Fund shall be used to support the activities of the Office of Sustainability as Yale creates, tests, and adopts innovative sustainable solutions to environmental and related social and economic challenges. Activities may include, but are not limited to, programming, communications, events, alumni engagement, and support for student assistants and early-career interns. Activities should also include, but are not limited to, initiatives that drive global leadership in integrated sustainable actions.
Priorities for the fund will evolve year-to-year.
Gifts can be made to the YBG Sustainability Fund at any time.